Prepare your carpool or vanpool for success
For safety purposes, it is a good idea to meet your potential carpool partner in person (schedule a coffee or lunch break together) so you can become familiar with each other and discuss carpool details:
- Decide if you are going to alternate driving, drive every day or ride every day.
- If it is not a shared driving arrangement, agree on a payment schedule.
- Establish a time schedule and pick-up points.
- Establish a rule for latecomers. Decide how long to wait for a passenger (usually no more than 5 minutes).
- Don’t forget to give notice of vacation, personal or overtime plans.
- Set up a line of communication. If someone can’t make it on a given day, let the driver know in advance the day before.
- Keep the car clean, well maintained and filled with enough fuel for each trip.
- Have a back-up plan for emergency situations, i.e. if your carpool driver must leave early because of a family emergency or stay late for unexpected overtime. Register for the Guaranteed Ride Home Program for a taxi ride home in these situations.
- Before you start, establish rules on
- Radio use
- Side trips on the way home